Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tripping down memory lane...

In the past 24 hours two friends posted about their old love of Silverchair so I just had to re-listen to my favorite album of theirs which is not the grungiest of their albums. I was really in love with Neon Ballroom when it was released in 99. It was the perfect background for my senior year and all of the random thoughts/feelings that year brought me. I remember rocking out to this album alone and with friends in my old bedroom. I had a few close friends in high school but I actually loved time alone to just listen to music and think about what I thought at the time were deep and meaningful things. (Looking back I'm sure they were quite trivial). Everynight I ended the day with headphones on listening to one of two things.... either my discman with the newest CD (faves I remember playing the most: Tragic Kingdom, Mellon-Collie and the Infinite Sadness, and Neon Ballroom, STP, Nirvana and Pearl Jam) OR I would listen to recorded X-Factor radio show (I think that's what it was called... Steph maybe you can correct me if I'm wrong) hosted by Jeb the Fish hahaha. I remember hearing bands like the Aquabats on there as well as Violent Femmes and Bowie. Oh and maybe a different show called Out of Order that I could possibly be mixing up. Anyway I recorded those shows because they'd play ska music and other underground stuff I loved but couldn't really find on radio or MTV. I would listen as if I knew of some secret radio show that nobody else at school knew about. I'd crank up the headphones and lay out in the backyard and stare at the stars until I was ready to fall asleep and then I'd listen to the last song or two in bed as I'd drift off. Those are some good high school memories thought they weren't really shared with anyone but myself. I guess that's part of being an only child. I grew up to be more of an introvert and I'm still that way even though my social calendar would say differently. :)




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well... since you asked!

X-Factor was on KRAB around that time and actually was hosted by... my dad! Surprise. Out of Order came on either before or after it (i'm old my memory sucks) and is hosted by Jed the Fish out of Los Angeles.

But that's also my favorite Silverchair record. I just played Anthem for the Year 2000 for fun on the radio the other day. LOL